What Does a Graphic Designer do?
Here are some job responsibilities of a graphic designer –
• Meet with clients or the art director to determine the scope of a project
• Use digital illustration, photo editing software and layout software to create designs
• Create visual elements such as logos, original images and illustrations that help deliver a desired message
• Design layouts and select colours, images and typefaces to use
• Present design concepts to clients or art directors
• Incorporate changes recommended by clients or art directors into final designs
• Review designs for errors before printing or publishing them
Is Graphic Designing A Career For Me?
How creative are you?
Do you often receive comments like, ‘Oh, you’re so good at drawing, why don’t you become an artist!’ Are you able to effectively communicate using the visual medium? If your answer to these preliminary questions is yes, then a career in Graphic Designing is certainly an option you can explore...
How Do I Reach There?
A Bachelors in Fine Arts or a Bachelors of Design program will groom you into a well-versed graphic designer. Usually, courses offered in India last for three years after you finish your 10+2. In a few cases, you can also apply directly after you pass Class X.
Graphic designers are famous in the Advertising and Print Industry.
If you wish to pursue graphic designing in the Web Designing industry, you need to be up-to-date with tools such as Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash.
As a graphic designer, you need to keep updating your skills to stay relevant.
Remember, graphic designing is more of an individual art rather than team work.
The salary of graphic designers tend to get stagnated after six years of experience. Your salary will generally range from INR 4-7 lakhs. However, with the advent of the Internet, there is huge scope to engage in freelance work thereby designing for multiple clients while working on a specific project for your company.
If you like what graphic designing entails, you can get a job where you do what you love & have someone pay you for it!
So, take your imagination and colour your world digitally...
- From an avid Media Maverick